The New State Of The Art
Drawing on 50 years of EQ heritage, EQuilibrium is a custom-designed power tool for audio professionals.
User-adaptable design, a cutting edge feature set, built for tackling critical mix/mastering tasks.
This sets a new standard in EQ. See for yourself, download the demo.
- Massively flexible EQ suitable for all critical professional applications
- Audio Engine can be incredibly low CPU usage, or incredibly high for mastering applications
- EQ features pristine digital curves, plus circuit models of vintage EQs, and engineering filters
- Completely reconfigurable UI with set-up wizard to suit to your specific workflow
- Extensive routing, grouping, channel and metering control
- Extensive analyser functionality, including 1/3 octave, 1/12 octave, spectrograph
- Even in lowest CPU mode, generates super-high-quality prototypes - clear undistorted top-end
- In FIR mode, Linear, Analogue, Minimum, Zero-Latency Analogue or even Free phase control
- 32 bands of EQ, Q 0.1->50, +/-36dB range
- Each band can be Peak, HPF, LPF, High Shelf, Low Shelf or Notch
- In stereo, each bank can process Mid, Side or the full stereo image
- Surround support for channels groupings in DTS
- Fully parametric filters (high and low-pass), 6/12/18/24/30/36/42/48db/oct
- Windows VST, VST3 and AAX as 32+64bit, RTAS 32bit
- Mac VST, VST3, AU and AAX as 32+64bit, RTAS 32bit
- Circuit models of vintage EQs from history, model numbers including: 4000, 3 (4 modes), 110, 550, 88, 32, 250
- Filters include: Coincident, Butterworth, Chebyshev, Bessel, Critical, Legendre, Elliptic, Allpass types
- First-order, second-order, vintage, and tilt shelves
- Classic DMG Bells and notches, with a +/-36dB range, and a Q range from 0.1 to 50
- Classic DMG Shelves which let you move the resonance above or below the curve
- Classic DMG Filters at 6/12/18/24/30/36/42/48 db/octave, sweepable resonance
- M/S processing mode, allows you to process Mid, Side or the Stereo image
- L/R processing mode, for independent Left and Right EQ
- Surround sound support upto 7.1 DTS, with channel grouping matrix, and per-pair M/S processing
- Per-band phase control, plus quick access to Linear, Analogue and Minimum phase modes
- Extensive Impulse Response design controls, including a selection of parametric windows, length and padding
- Flexible, modular, configurable UI
- Big, clear, antialiased graph
- Hi-res Spectrum analyser with multiple modes
- Range, to scale the EQ response, both +ve and -ve
- Frequency shift, to allow you to retune the response
- Configurable multi-channel metering, supporting K-metering and variable ballistics
- 8 banks of A/B
- Full preset management system
- Autolisten mode, for quick finding/adjustment of frequencies
- Clip LED
Latest version number: 1.55
Windows System Requirements
- Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8
- 32bit or 64bit
- ProTools 7 or newer.
- A host that supports VST or VST3, such as:
- Steinberg Cubase
- Steinberg Nuendo
- Steinberg Wavelab
- Sony ACID Pro
- Ableton Live
- Cockos Reaper
- Magix Sequoia
- Magix Samplitude
Mac OS System Requirements
- Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks (10.5,10.6,10.7,10.8,10.9)
- Intel mac
- ProTools 7 or newer.
- A host that supports VST, AU or VST3, such as:
- Apple Logic (32bit or 64bit)
- Apple Garageband
- Steinberg Cubase
- Steinberg Nuendo
- Ableton Live
Specifically not supported
(might work, but I can't test/support these platforms):
- Windows 95/98
- OS X 10.0,10.1,10.2,10.3,10.4
- Fix bug with ZL Analogue Phase mode + independent MS band shifting stereo image
- Fix pops when engaging/disengaging autolistening with Parallel mode active
- Fix 32bit Carbon UIs on OSX
- Fix bug with reinstatement of deleted bands when selected and bypassing a band.
- Fix bug with control-lock for deleted bands.
- Fix crash with Cocoa UI closure.
- Fix crash whilst dragging free-resize UI.
- Fix UI size in hosts that were showing cut-off sections.
- Improve Fullscreen on mac.
- Fix crash with long buffer render DSP settings.
- Rework Windows FullScreen.
- Fix invisible GUI bug.
- Fix bug with Preset menu.
- Default OpenGL to Off.
- Fix "white squares instead of knobs" bug.
- Improve latency reporting for offline VST3 rendering.
- Improve Surround support in Reaper.
- Update AU validation.
- Allow all AUs to use Cocoa UIs on 32bit mac.
- Improve speed of session recall for AUs.
- Fix mousewheel on 2nd screens.
- Compensate latency with soft bypass for long IRs.
- Clear "Save As Default" button after click.
- Support text entry for multiple linked bands.
- Reduce Q for autolistening filters.
- Enable OpenGL.
- Allow disabling of OpenGL via pref - requires session reload.
- Fix bug with fullscreen in Reaper.
- Fullscreen opens on current screen.
- Fix bug with AAX automation whereby discrete parameters could jump.
- Fix bug with mousewheel on windows to left of main screen on windows.
- Improve determinism of automation when rendering.
- Improve handling of OS load dialog for presets.
- Improvements for latency reporting both realtime and offline.
- Space no longer closes fullscreen. Use escape.
- Ensure Digital+Phase preference correctly propagated with "propagate to all"
- Improve "tooltips follow adjustment" preference.
- Improve channel linkage handling.
- Improve handling of 6db/oct APF/Elliptic filters.
- In "always sort" preference, keep bands sorted after undo/redo.
- Manual updates.
- Fullscreen mode.
- Free-drag resize mode.
- Parameter lock option with shift+alt+click.
- Render-DSP settings, can be chosen to be used for rendering.
- Autogain feature with 4 weightings and M/S balance mode.
- Imports banks exported from EQuality/EQuick.
- Digital+Phase mode.
- Autolisten with knobs and textboxes on right/alt-drag.
- Added preferences for keeping band strips in frequency order.
- Channel configuration can be selected by clicking channel strips.
- Option to propagate all UI settings to all instances in the session.
- Option to propagate all DSP settings to all instances in the session.
- Option to propagate all Render-DSP settings to all instances in the session.
- Per-instance MIDI input enable/disable (imports old global preference).
- Mousewheel for subtypes
- Duplicated band strips are positioned next to the original
- Fix bug with A/B in AAX.
- Fix AAX level meters.
- Fix analyser source reload
- Accept , in place of . for numeric entry
- Entering text values for channel gain respects linkage
- New bands are created matching the current EQ channel view
- Improved labelling of meter channels in surround
- Graph zoom/setup settings are saved and reloaded
- Yellow meter peak pref.
- Improved Simple/Precise number formats.
- Improved DSP for Flat-Top peak with wide Q values.
- Allow graph tooltip frequencies to be in note format.
- Preference for tooltips to follow changes rather than mouse.
- Tidying and optimisation.
- Reduce saved preset sizes further.
- Fix crashes with undo/redo.
- Fixes for Sonar.
- Fix automation of discrete parameters for PT11 AAX.
- Fix samplerate issues in Wavelab for VST3.
- Remove AAX GR meter.
- Fix "true Q" preference.
- Fix "FX Start" preset.
- Fix rare crash on setup wizard completion.
- Fix recall of filter type buttons.
- Fix bug affecting reloading of settings
- Fix issues with Windows 32bit AAX and ProTools 10
- Experimental preference to allow extended band frequency range at higher samplerates.
- Optimise redraw speed.
- Grouped Undo/Redo.
- Fix rare crash bugs.
- Automating bypass buttons with shortcut in AAX fixed.
- Fix 4th order shelves in parallel mode.
- Fix pops with some band types.
- Fix "fiddly" gain dragging issue.
- Fix Meter Ballistics pref.
- Improve handling of Avid control surfaces.
- Fix crash with loading corrupt presets.
- Fix obscure crash bug related to Analyser usage.
- Fix obscure UI bug with mouse in specific location while preset loading.
- Versioning display for binaries.
- Significant reduction in load/save times.
- All-round optimisation and tidying.
- Ceased support for 10.4 and PPC. 10.5/Intel now required.
- Improvements for RTAS versions.
- Fix samplerate related issues for AU.
- Improvements for AAX Automation.
- Improvements for redraw strategy on OSX.
- Improvements for UIs for AU+Cocoa.
- Fix mousewheel handling on Windows.
- Fix UI resizing in Live 9 Mac.
- Fix crash when closing UI for Cocoa AUs
- Move Windows presets to My Documents to improve Win7/8 usage.
- Added warning box if file save/load fails.
- AAX2.0 and PT11 compatibility.
- Small manual update
- Fix Butterworth and 4kg shelves.
- Fix Logic Surround layout
- Fix tooltip fadeout.
- Fix spurious locked-in-autolisten bug.
- Added 8k2 peak...
- Added 4ke peak... (brown/black CT in/out modes)
- Fix crash bug with AAX2.0 AudioSuite in PT11
- Added pref to show meter readouts as peak or live. (peak is default)
- Added new Units presets
- Preference to control compression for presets/session saves.
- Fix SaveAs crash in Logic (crash in save/load under rare circumstances)
- MIDI Preference defaults to OFF for new installs.
- Rework selection. Now grouped bands form a group independent of current selection.
- Preference added to disable band linking completely.
- Fix keyboard note readout to stay onscreen.
- Fix trivial graphical glitch on windows.
- Don't create a submenu for Notch bands.
- Fix memory leak for AAX.
- Fix clicking with coincident/butterworth in Digital+ mode.
- Fix pops with 4kg lowshelf.
- Fix display of SetupWindow menu
- Fix pops with VST3 version
- Fix VST3 surround support in Cubase/Nuendo
- Add Rectangular/Parametric window type
- Imported analyser curves get a different colour
- Preserve selective-load flags
- Normalize FlatTop window (to avoid level jumps)
- Fix Mac RTAS version
- Improve HPF performance
- Move graph numbers to highest layer
- Fixed crash on opening Setup Wizard
- Fixed crash on completing Setup Wizard
- Windows switch to GDI (fix XP support and all manner of graphics-related oddness)
- Fix crash with Analyser menu
- Fix Alchemy and Pultec presets
- Fix Digital+ mode pops and clicks
- Fix Digital+ mode cancellation
- Rebuild preset menu on preset save
- Fix Windows RTAS and AAX versions
This is an incredible equalizer. There is no loss of transparency in the Equilibrium LP compared with MP, none whatsoever that I can hear. Equilibrium has changed all my assumptions about the sound of LP equalizers.
Bob Katz - www.digido.com
Equilibrium is easily the most forward thinking and most important addition to my toolbox to date. Unparalleled flexibility, versatility and sonics make this a must have for everyone serious about the art of making records.
S. Husky Höskulds - Wikipedia
The EQuilibrium Story
Besides adjusting gain, EQ is the most commonly used process in any audio workflow. Yet it's been years since there was a radical change in how EQs are designed. I've been a student of EQ design my entire career - I was even designing EQs before I started at Focusrite!
I wanted to make a bold statement about what the future should look like - about reclaiming all that was good about the past, and simply adding more.
The EQuilibrium design process started with thinking about what the different facets of an EQ are. We decided that the different facets are these: Curves, Audio fidelity, Interface, Routing. So we looked at each facet individually, and took them deeper.
The Curves are fascinating - I've spent years poring over schematics, collecting transfer functions to find out what it is that makes certain EQs so special. Gain-Q interactivity is one, Gain-frequency interactivity another. Or just interesting settings that bring some vibe. Understanding what curves and interactions have stayed with us over the decades tells us a lot about what we use EQs to achieve. Parallel and series configurations are fascinating too.
Audio fidelity is a real passion of mine - so I revamped the EQuality audio engine to allow a further layer of control; the IIR mode replaces Digital mode in EQuality - that was a bad choice of name, since the entire point of it is that it sounds indistinguishable from the analogue, whilst using the minimum possible amount of CPU usage. Digital+ now has a resizable +, in that you can configure the degree of compensation, and freely tune it. The Phase modes have been revamped entirely - now you can assign phase for each band independently, tune the windowing, and there are graphs for everything, so if you're a mastering engineer wanting to control ringing, you can see the ringing clearly, and what's affecting it!
Interface we've gone perhaps a little overboard with. There's really no grand consensus on how you want to interact with an EQ, so we made it fully configurable. Graphs, knobs, keyboards, textboxes, tooltips, the whole gamut is in there, and can be arranged to suit you. The degree of UI reconfiguration is so extreme we've built a setup wizard, which must be a first for an EQ.
Routing is interesting too. There are scant few fully surround-capable EQs, and it seemed silly not to support routing flexibility to its fullest. For stereo usage there's the simple familiar M/S or L/R configuration, but for surround there's full channel grouping support. We've added per-channel metering, with gains, phase, solo/mute and linkage, so you have half a mixer in there too.
For a few years, I've felt like it was time for a revolution in EQ - no more being held back by the bizarre requirement for rack-ears and photorealistic knobs. It's not photos of gear that bring vibe - it's the soul, the curves! So that's what we've built. A surfeit of functionality predicated on the curves of the greatest EQs from times past.
- Dave Gamble, 2013
Click to download
Click to download
Click to download
How do I get my demo?
- Click HERE and fill in your details.
- Alternatively, create an account, and there's a link in "Your Stuff" that will email you a demo license.
What are the limitations?
None. It just stops processing audio after 30days.
As soon as you get another license (by buying it, or if you haven't had a chance to evaluate it, by contacting me and explaining the situation), everything will kick back in. There's no risk of losing anything.
How can I buy a full copy?
- Click the Buy Now button at the top of the page.
- Alternatively, create an account and use the "Buy Now" button in the "Your Stuff" section.
Is there customer support included?
While the demo is valid, I'm happy to help you as if you were already a paying customer (which I hope you'll become!)